Sorry if this is offtopic here - I looked on http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html and
didn't see any better lists for this question...if there is one, let me know and Iwill
post it there....

I want to redirect http://www.i18n.com/showcase/foo to http://showcase.i18n.com/foo

I am running a dual apache config (mp1, current release for mp and apache) so Ialready
have some rewrite rules:

<VirtualHost www.i18n.com>
ServerName www.i18n.com

RewriteEngine On

   RewriteLogLevel      0
   RewriteRule          ^/(.*.shtml)$ http://localhost:8000/$1 [proxy]
   RewriteRule          ^/(.*.pl)$ http://localhost:8000/$1 [proxy]
   RewriteRule          ^/(.*.inc)$ http://localhost:8000/$1 [proxy,last]
   NoCache              *
   ProxyPassReverse     /  http://www.i18n.com/
snip
</VirtualHost>

This all works fine.

The virtual host showcase.i18n.com is defined in the same httpd.conf file and it works.

Now I want to add the new rewrite rule:

   RewriteLogLevel      3
   RewriteLog "/usr/local/httpd_docs/logs/vslash_rewrite.log"
     RewriteRule          ^/showcase/(.*)$ http://showcase.i18n.com/$1 [proxy,last]

this is added to the top of the list of rules.

some weird things happen:

1 - nothing get written to the log file, even at level 9. It is owned by root (created
by touch). Is that ok?
2 - the rewrite doesn't happen and I get a 404 error; "The requested URL /showcase was
not found on this server. Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.i18n.com Port 80" in my browser
(Opera 6.05).

Any ideas? It is live if you want to see it..

thanks, GV