Ray Zimmerman wrote:
I have a bizarre problem and I've run out of ideas ...

Here's the gist ... when I run some code which looks like ...

my result = `/usr/local/bin/matlab < input_file.m`;

... from a perl CGI, then matlab (a commercial math package) segfaults. However, when I run it from mod_perl on the same server it runs fine (it runs fine from the command line, btw).
Something is different. Environment variables, PATH, user, current directory, etc. You have to go through all of them until you find the one that's the problem. Depending on how your server is set up, CGI could be executing as a different user.

- Perrin