John Eisenschmidt wrote:
OpenBSD 3.2
Perl 5.6.1

I'm trying to build MP 1.99_08 for Apache 2.0.44, and I'm not quite
sure where I'm messing up. Apache built fine, building the config for
MP went fine:

	jweisen@kaitain$ sudo perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2
	MP_INST_APACHE2=1

	*** mod_perl dso library will be built as mod_perl.so
	*** mod_perl static library will be built as mod_perl.a
	*** You'll need to add the following to httpd.conf:
	***  LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so

But the actual make doesn't go so well:

	jweisen@kaitain$ sudo make

	ranlib: mod_perl.so: Inappropriate file type or format
	*** Error code 1

	Stop in /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.99_08/src/modules/perl (line 149 of
	Makefile.modperl).
	*** Error code 1

	Stop in /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.99_08 (line 459 of Makefile).

I dug back a couple months in the mailing lists and I'm not seeing
anything applicable. Any help would be appreciated.
Actually there were several reports of a similar failure for mod_perl 2.0 and even more for mod_perl 1.0. It looks like you've snipped too much and you don't show what are the unresolved symbols, which seems to be the cause of the error:

ranlib: mod_perl.so: Inappropriate file type or format