All:

I've got a strange Apache::Cookie issue that seems to have recently snuck up on me, although I've seen similar behavior in the past.

I have a PerlAccessHandler called GroupAccess that handles all access to a site**. If there's a user_id cookie, it pulls urls allowed to that user from a db, otherwise, an "anonymous" set of urls that are allowed - certainly not rocket science. The problem is that the logout handler (which expires the user_id cookie) kills the cookie and redirects to / ok, but when the GroupAccess handler checks if the cookie exists (during the / request), $cookies->{user_id}* is defined, but the value seems to be an empty string ala "". This really makes things difficult. What is weird is that the Apache::Cookie object DOES exist, it's just the value that's all wacked out or just plain missing. Could it be bug in Apache::Cookie that only shows up during internal redirects (and when I'm not looking)? This problem is incredibly difficult to reproduce as it only happens about 1 out of ever 30 - 40 times... That said, when it does happen, users complain and that's not cool at all.

* $cookies is a hash ref with cookie names as keys and Apache::Cookie objects as values.

** The site in question: http://www.bluemonkeystuff.com

Thanks in advance!

--
Eric Sammer