Pavel Hlavnicka wrote:

>> Ok, here is a complete backtrace (after a nice couple of hours observing the compilation progress... :)
>

> Can you please share the details of what you have changed, that allowed you to get the args and line numbers/file names? Why didn't you have them in the original report (I want this to be documented).

I did it easily, but I'm not sure, it is a way for everyone... I just built Perl form the source with CFLAGS='-O0 -g' (-O0 is not necessary, I guess, it just usually makes debugger more precise on line tracking).

What I exactly did was:

sh Configure -des -Dprefix='/home/pavel/perl-5.8' -Duseshrplib -Doptimize='-O0 -g' -Uinstallusrbinperl -Dusethreads

I compiled mod_perl for debugging too:

env CFLAGS='-O0 -g' perl Makefile.PL

I'm telling it just to be complete, but having more perl installations and calling the appropriate perl executable to generate mod_perl Makefile puts everything nicely together in right directory structures.
Thanks Pavel,
I was always building with -g, that's why my args were always complete. I suppose different levels of -O[0..3] strip different amount of information. At least on my system (linux/gcc3.2) providing -g is enough (as it sets -O0).

> > #0 0x4003e32d in Perl_gv_fetchpv (my_perl=0x0,
> > nambeg=0x80c68a7 "Apache::Server::AutoPreLoad", add=0, sv_type=4)
> > at gv.c:646
> > #1 0x4003726b in Perl_get_sv (my_perl=0x0,
> > name=0x80c68a7 "Apache::Server::AutoPreLoad", create=0) at perl.c:1712
> > #2 0x08058c40 in mp_preload_module (name=0xbfff93e8) at perl_config.c:428
>
> The key here is my_perl=0x0, an attempt to call into perl was made
> before it was started. Since you didn't provide the details requested
> at:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/help.html#How_to_Report_Problems
> (in particular build arguments) I'm doing a wild guesswork, assuming
> that you have built without PERL_STACKED_HANDLERS=1 (or
> EVERYTHING=1). So if my guess was correct, does the following patch
> fixes the problem with the threaded perl?

Mea culpa, but I didn't tell you, bacause I did nothing particular - no swithes to Makefile.PL at all, so your wild guess was correct. Sorry for this omission.

... and the good message at last.. your patch works great. Thank you very much!
Great, I'll commit a proper patch. (the one I've posted was duplicating a chunk of code)

Have you got a clue, when (and whether) some maintenance release will go out?
I don't know. But probably not very soon.

Meanwhile I'll prefer the workaround and I'll build modperl with stacked handlers. May it have some impact to the performance? (...ok not so critical for me, indeed).
I doubt so, you should be fine with stacked handlers. If performance is critical and you don't need the threads functionality, you are better off with non-threaded perl.

Many thanks, and thaks for modperl.
;)