On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Richard Heintze wrote:

> I downloaded
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/Perl-5.8-win32-bin.exe
> and ran the perl config.pl program. Since I received
> so many errors (see end of this email message) I
> decided to use my existing perl at c:\Perl\bin which
> is a version of 5.8 that is already in my path.

I've snipped the output below, but actually those were
all warnings, not errors - most are due to pod2html
not finding things like a title in the pod, and the
last one was CPAN.pm not understanding a TERM environment
variable. These can all safely be ignored,

> When I start apache, I now get the error: "The
> procedure entry point for modperl_global_request could
> ot be located in the dynamic link library mod_perl.so.
> "OK".

That's because the mod_perl.so you're using in the Apache2
modules/ directory was compiled with a different Perl
and/or Apache2 than the one in that's being picked up in
your PATH.

> I've tried everything short of building mod_perl
> myself (including the perl mpinstall, the single line
> ppm command and the repository command for ppm3).
>
> I'm trying to install Apache2 with mod_perl on perl5.8
> on windows and I'm getting nowhere because I cannot
> seem to get a good copy of mod_perl. What am I doing
> wrong?

I'd suggest, first of all, getting rid of the various
Apache and Perl installations you have, and starting afresh.
If you previously had installed an Apache2 service,
remove it by
   C:\Path\to\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe -n Apache2 -k uninstall
Then, either get the Perl-5.8-win32-bin.exe all-in-one
binary, and install from it the Perl/ subdirectory to
C:\Perl and the Apache2/ subdirectory to C:\Apache2.
Alternatively, get an ActivePerl 8xx binary from
www.activestate,com and an Apache2 binary from www.apache.org
and install these, respectively, to C:\Perl and C:\Apache2.
If you do the latter, then install the mod_perl ppm
package as you've done before.

--
best regards,
randy