[snip]
I use this subroutine:

sub let_through {
        my ($self, $r, $p) = @_;
        $r->set_handlers( PerlAuthzHandler => [\&OK] );
        $r->set_handlers( PerlAuthenHandler => [\&OK] );
        $p && $r->internal_redirect( $p );
        return OK;
        }

And under some circumstances might call:
    return $self->let_through( $r, $login_page );
for instance.

When this happen I find that the page shows ( $login_page ), but the browser
continues to show loading.
I check the error log and find:
    message type 0x50 arrived from server while idle

IIRC, you can only call internal_redirect from a content handler. from your code I suspect that you're not doing that, since it would be too late to unset the auth phases.

HTH

--Geoff