From: "Dzuy Nguyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Modperl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: Server questions

I always say, buy the best you can afford.
Then again, consider how many Linux PC you can have for the price of the

Sun.

Run those PCs in a web farm or cluster and that Sun can't match the

processing

power and speed.

Michael Hyman wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a dilemma that I need input on.

If you were to buy machines to be used as dedicated web servers, which

would

you go with?

Option 1. A Sun SunFire 280R with 2 Ultra 3 processors and 4GB RAM. Run
Solaris 9

Option 2. PC-server with 2 ~2.8GHZ Xeon processors and 8GB RAM. Run

Linux

The prices are worlds apart and I think I will get more bang for the

buck

with PC.

The systems will connect to an Oracle server, via SQL*Net and server

both

dynamic and static content along with providing download files up to 1GB

in

size. The files will be stored locally.

What I want to understand is which machine will be faster, be able to

handle

more peak loading, have a longer lifespan yet be upgradeable for a
reasonable price.

In the benchmarking we have done, we run out of Ram before CPU using

Apache

1.3.27 and Mod_perl, so we will heavily load the machines with RAM.

I have years of experience with Solaris and SunOS, and little with

Linux,

but the learning curve seems small and easily handled. It seems to me

that

Linux is more customizable than Solaris, but then Solaris comes pretty

well

tuned and does not always need much tweaking.

Apache and all of our software components support both Solaris and

Linux, so

we can go either way as far as that goes.

I think it comes down to a simple formula of which option gets us the

most

peak and sustained performance for the least amount of money.

So, I am looking for some input as to which way you might go in my
positions.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Regards...Michael