Stas Bekman wrote:

As I wrote this, I'm actually starting to think that it's Apache who should ignore the flush bucket if it had seen no other data so far, and not generate any headers till it actually sees the real data.

And I went to produce a patch in http_filter, I figured that that would be wrong for the same reason, mod_perl shouldn't handle that as a special case, since that behavior might be a desired one.

Another workaround for your problem could be a custom output filter, that yanks any bucket brigades including only the flush bucket, if it had not seen any real data buckets yet.