Vince Veselosky wrote:
[...]
The thing that triggered it was the fact that the url was an "index.pl" file. When called as "example.com/index.pl", everything worked as expected, but when called as "example.com/", apache (or something) generated a subrequest for index.pl.

NOW my question is, why does apache generate the subrequest *after* the HeaderParser phase, causing it to execute twice? This seems like a pure URI translation issue, and I would expect it to happen in the URI translation phase, *before* the HeaderParser executes at all. I'm wondering if this happens in all requests, or if it is related to Apache::Registry in the content handler. I didn't take the time to track down exactly where the subrequest originates, so I'm not sure if it is a mod_perl issue or just an apache issue. I might one day build some test cases and figure it out, but not soon. Anyone have some insight to add?

Do you have mod_dir (DirectoryIndex) configured? It performs a rewrite/sub_request-redirect in the fixup stage.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_dir.html