From: Robert Landrum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 11:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: stopping concurrent logins

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:34:25PM +0200, Frank Maas wrote:
> You can set a session (see Apache::Session and related modules) that
> can use the uri as session-container as well (eg
> http://www.example.com/9o79876a98d7fa98d7/path/to/doc). The session
> part (9o79876a98d7fa98d7) can be stored in a database.
>
> Success.

Technically, that doesn't solve the problem either.  Since the session
information is in the URL, there is nothing to stop the user from IM that URL
to their friend, who then has total access, without a cookie, just by using
the current users session.

I must not fully understand the taboo against using cookies.  It's rare that
an online application, e-commerce related or otherwise, works without cookies.
If you're doing anything more than browsing static data, you'll quickly become
fustrated at the lack of support for non-cookie-enabled browers.

Anytime web based authentication is used, people are going to need cookies.
Maintaining state and security within a stateless medium is almost impossible
without cookies, in my experience.

I've heard of, but never seen, authentication using java or flash that
maintains a persistent connection in the background using sockets to the
web server.  This basically "registers" the user's IP address with the
system, and all users with that IP are considered authenticated.  I'm sure more
complicated solutions exist.

Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem.  But perhaps the problem is
the requirement to not use cookies...  :)

Good luck,

Rob

--
Robert Landrum