> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 12:59, Marc M. Adkins wrote:
> > That's news to me (not being facetious).  I was under the
> impression that
> > cloning Perl 5.8 ithreads cloned everything, that there was no
> sharing of
> > read-only data.
>
> We're not talking about ithreads here, just processes.  The data is
> shared by copy-on-write.  It's an OS-level feature.  See the mod_perl
> docs for more info.

My original comment was regarding threads, not processes.  I run on Windows
and see only two Apache processes, yet I have a number of Perl interpreters
running in their own ithreads.  My understanding of Perl ithreads is that
while the syntax tree is reused, data stored in the parent ithread is
cloned.

In addition, since I'm on Windows, I'm not convinced that the type of
OS-level code sharing you're talking about is in fact done.  Windows doesn't
fork().

mma