On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 21:02, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Paul Simon wrote:
> > So, according to the docs,
> > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html#Work_with_DataBases_under_Threaded_MPM,
> > using Apache::DBI doesn't do anything under
> > mp2+windows2000 ...
>
> That's correct. Since Apache::DBI does per-process pooling, and apache 2.0 on
> winFU, runs one process with many threads. So Apache::DBI is useless there.

Wait a minute, it's only useless if DBI and DBD::Oracle are not thread
safe.  Do we know if that's true?

Just to be clear, Apache::DBI stores database handles in globals, which
are not shared between threads.  This provides persistence.  DBI::Pool
is a more ambitious idea to allow the handles to be actually shared,
providing "pooling" as well as persistence.

> But since you are using Oracle, if I remember correctly DBD::Oracle provides
> an internal pooling support. I could be wrong, please check the docs.

It's called ora_dbh_share.  I haven't tried it yet, and probably won't
for a bit since I'm not using Oracle at the moment.

- Perrin