On Today at 12:38am, PH=>Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

PH> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 09:55, Haroon Rafique wrote:
PH> > Now onto serious stuff. /usr/bin/perl here is the system-wide perl
PH> > install that came bundled with Redhat.
PH>
PH> Just a thought: did you fix the locale on that machine?  Most of CPAN
PH> won't compile on Red Hat 8 and 9 because of the broken UTF8 locale
PH> setting they have.  If you haven't already, edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n
PH> and change LANG="en_US.UTF-8" to LANG="en_US.ISO8859-1".  That fixed
PH> many mysterious things for me.
PH>
PH> - Perrin

Hi Perrin,

I don't think locale is the issue here. I say that because by installing a
new perl in my home directory (I don't have root access to this machine,
just developer access), I'm able to install 1.99_10-dev and pass 100% of
the tests. I think the issue is that I asked the admin to install 1.99_08
a couple of months ago. Now 1.99_10-dev won't pass "make test" properly,
as we suspect, it is finding the older 1.99_08 mod_perl.

Just for completeness, I checked for the LANG variable,
        env | grep LANG
        LANG=en_US
so more than likely that is not the issue.

Stas suggested some steps to take in his latest reply. I will post my
findings as a reply to his email.
--
Haroon Rafique
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>