I am happy to announce the first beta of OpenInteract 2.0,
1.99_00. This is a major rewrite of the OpenInteract web application
framework with substantial feature enhancements. A few highlights:

 * Runs under more environments than Apache/mod_perl 1.x since the
   request and response responsibilities are divided up

 * No separate repository of packages, each website stands on
   its own

 * Task-oriented management framework to make creating websites,
   creating and installing packages, installing SQL and other jobs
   much easier.

 * An app server no longer demands your full URL-space so you can
   deploy it under a location (e.g., http://www.mysite.com/OI2/) and
   have all actions respond and rewrite URLs properly.

* Lots of changes to make package development easier.

While it should be a fairly solid release this is still a beta. It's
only been tested on a couple of databases, only on Linux and on
5.8.0. It should still work on the same systems as OI 1.x but there's always that X factor...

OpenInteract 1.99_00 has been released to both CPAN and the
Sourceforge area [1]. You can browse the full (and growing) set of documentation online [2] and follow the status at the OpenInteract wiki site [3].

I'd love to talk with people at YAPC::NA about OI2 and would be happy to initiate a BOF if there's enough interest.

Thanks!

Chris

[1] http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/openinteract/OpenInteract-1.99_00.tar.gz?download
[2] http://openinteract.sourceforge.net/docs/oi2/
[3] http://openinteract.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/OI/

--
Chris Winters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.