From: Stas Bekman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:38 PM
To: Tim Howell
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [mp2] make test fails nearly all tests...

Tim Howell wrote:
> Stas (and others)--
>
> Following your suggestion I built/tested as a normal user.  This time
> only one test fails (one of the CGI tests).  Below is the output from
> make test.

Great. However if you don't mind to help others, I'd like you to help me
resolve your original problem, it shouldn't be a problem to run tests as
root.
So if you can answer my questions from the original reply to you, that
will
help a lot

> Thanks for your help.  I've only been using unix/linux for a few
> months, but I've learned an enormous amount from lists like this.  I
> really appreciate it.

We all have been helped while being newbies and try to help others in
the same
positions we once were. It's a win-win "vicious" circle ;)

Just in case you don't have the original reply, here is what I wanted to
know
(that's when you return to run the build and tests as root, not a normal
user,
which we now know that works):

------

Looks like you encounter permission problems. Since you  have
/root/mod_perl-1.99_09/t/hooks in the path. I'm pretty sure that if you
build/test as a normal user and only su to install, everything will work
just
fine.

We try to provide a workaround for testing with root and what we do is
chown
the files to the uid/gid the server is configured to run with. This is
because
the server can't be run as root for security reasons. Can you do:

grep User t/conf/httpd.conf

it tries to pick the 'httpd' or 'nobody' user to run the tests with. If
you
don't have such user on your machine this may explain the problem you
are having.

Also, I'd like to see the output of 'make test', since it tells me when
it
chowns the files and to which uid/gid.