Hi, Raf,

Yes, the server does not die on the first time request.

My original code does not have quotes and adding quotes removed the
error.

As you expected, the function is used to add path to files for
dynamically 'require' test version of *.pl in our CGI, but my test.cgi
has not gone that far yet. Just the path conversion itself bombs the
server, and what interesting is that the CGI results the same outputs
with/without double quotes on the regexp. The print of the "dir after="
shows that split correctly parsed the input string. The only difference
is that the server dies upon global destruction?

As a matter of fact, I am very confused by the error message of "global
destruction". When does global destruction happen in mod_perl? Does my
code causes server process die and then the process tries to do "global
destruction" ? Or "global destruction" at some stage causes the process
die. I thought mod_perl provide persistent environment, and no "global
destruction" should happen until a process served enough requests and
reached the end of lifecycle.

Thanks,

June