On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Ged Haywood wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:25:23 +0100 (BST)
> From: Ged Haywood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Peter B. Ensch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: A::Registry vs. mod_perl handler philosophy
>
> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Peter B. Ensch wrote:
>
> > I'm beginning to develop apps under mod_perl. I'm
> > curious as to how people decide between coding for
> > Apache::Registry vs. mod_perl handlers.
>
> Use Apache::Registry only if you have to in order to get legacy CGI
> scripts working.
>
> > It's been suggested to me that content generating
> > apps should be done under A::R, whereas logging,
> > authentication Etc. should be implemented as
> > mod_perl handlers.
>
> All new code should use handlers.
>
> 73,
> Ged.

I wouldn't be so strict about such definitions.  If you're only
looking to generate content, then I don't see a problem with writing
"standard" CGI scripts and running them under A::R.  If you stick with
"strict" and "warnings" and follow the gotchas listed in The Guide[1],
you should be fine.  If you also choose to code carefully, you can
use the same script under mod_perl or not without changing anything
(if that's important to you).

Or am I missing something?  At CSHL, all our Apache servers are
compiled with mod_perl, but Lincoln still has us write most everything
as CGI scripts.  It's easy and works just fine for us.  Also saves
having to add <Location> directives to httpd.conf everytime you want
to add a new script.

Whatever works for you, I say.  But mayhap I'm too permissive.

ky

[1]-http://perl.apache.org/guide