On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 16:32, Steve Hay wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 00:12, Steve Hay wrote:
> >

> >>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>>

> >>The last patch that I submitted
> >>(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=105595499417788&w=2)
> >>almost fits the bill -- just remove the "if (MOD_PERL2)" stuff at the
> >>top for a mp1-only version.
> >>
> >>However, that uses the B module, which is only available from 5.005_03
> >>up.  That's all that you're asking for above, but when I previously
> >>pointed out that the current mp1 Makefile.PL specifies 5.003_97 up (in
> >>general, different on Win32/cygwin), you said that you didn't want to
> >>have to up the minimum requirement to 5.005_03.
> >>
> >>I also currently have no idea how to write tests for Apache modules and
> >>I'm unlikely to learn in the next couple of days, so unless you're happy
> >>with a 5.005_03 requirement for Apache::Reload and either don't mind
> >>having no tests or else can write some yourself then it looks like I'll
> >>have to wait until 1.29.
> >>

> >Here is what I think I am going to do in light of all this and a high
> >level of cafeeine...
> >
> >Take Apache::Reload from mp2 as-is (it's 0.9), and mod_perl1-ify it.
> >
> >Dump it in mod_perl 1
> >
> >Change it's version number to 0.8_1 so CPAN won't pick it up.
> >
> >Release 1.28 (eventually...)
> >
> >Then work on the added functionnality for Apache::Reload and solve all
> >other issues of dependencies on B, ModPerl::Util::symbol_undef_code,
> >etc.
> >
> Good idea!  We've had so many ideas flying around about how to implement
> the new "UndefOnReload" feature and where to put the code that I'd
> completely forgotten that there is an existing module that already works
> (without that feature)!  Getting that into mp1 as a first step is an
> excellent move.

So I'll do exactly that !

> >I don't want this issue to slow down the long-awaited release of 1.28.
> >But at the same time , StatINC is quite old and users of mp1 should be
> >'motivated' to upgrade to Apache::Reload, so it makes sense to go in mp1
> >as well.
> >
> >Maybe for 1.29 we could even talk about deprecating/removing
> >Apache::StatINC alltogether, for example.
> >
> I expect there would be some objections to removing Apache::StatINC
> altogether (at least for while yet).  Deprecating it is certainly a good
> idea once the "UndefOnReload" option is added to Apache::Reload; until
> then, some may actually prefer Apache::StatINC.

I am aware of that. I was pointing a possibility I would consider if I
were to be RM for 1.29 ;-)

> Steve
Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5 (122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
perl -e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'