Ged>   A recent post by Randal seemed to indicate the memory saved
Ged> by using a DSO mod_perl wasn't as large as one might think - check the
Ged> archives.

And I've confirmed that observation at least on Solaris and OpenBSD.
You can build a static mod_perl-enabled binary.  Just be sure to have:

        ClearModuleList
        AddModule mod_mime.c

and add only the modules that you're using.  Modules that don't get
"add"-ed appear to take up no data space... just becoming part of the
shared single binary that is being accessed.

(You can get the list with 'httpd -l' and a bit of text massaging.)

My front proxy processes are a mere 1.5 Meg right now, running
basically mod_ssl, mod_rewrite, and mod_proxy, and it's the same
binary as my backend mod_perl work processes, running about 10 to 15
Meg a piece.

No more DSO.