Forgive me for asking yet another fundamentally basic question.

I'm cutting a web app over from PHP to mod_perl 2, and
am wondering how 'best' (for which there are many flavours ...)
to handle authentication.

At present I've knocked up a site that does auth via a
form and state tracking with Session.pm.  The form checks
usernames & passwords against a MySQL database, and the state is
maintained by Session.  This seems quite logical to me, coming from
essentially a CGI background, but the discussion of handlers
around here makes me believe there's a better way?

I see threads here discussing the use of handlers, which I
don't really understand how they fit into the picture,
they seem to my poor understanding to be a hardcoded
chunk in httpd.conf, for handling authentation/state.  Is
there anywhere a dumb beginers guide to how this
works?  Do they set environment variables or something
that a script can then look for that the script can be sure
is legit?  Or am I completely missing the point?  Do I
need to buy a book?  It seems really bad to go
hacking into httpd.conf, but maybe that's just my
old-school conservatism?

for now I'm continuing with my form based authentication,
but is there a 'better' way? And if so, what makes it better?

Carl