Hi Mustafa --

> Is it possible to dynamically ban IP addresses using
> mod_perl. Like even the first connection from the
> specified ip will be rejected. I know that you can do
> this using httpd.conf but I am wondering how to do the
> same dynamically while Apache is running.

Yes, it is possible with mod_perl.  You can create a PerlAccessHandler
which allows or denies access for a particular client based on some
logic.  The Access phased is the appropriate place for such a handler.

> Also how can I cope with denial of service attacks? I
> know there is no general solution to this, but is
> there a particular technique to ease the problem. The
> environment is one host that serves small number of
> people with a very limited bandwidth.

I don't know of any particular CPAN module which would detect a DOS
attack.  There have been a few specialized modules, such as
Apache::CodeRed, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If you can define the nature of the attack, you can write code to defend
against it.  Mod_perl can definitely allow you to add logic at the right
time to implement such a defense.

Warmest regards,

-Jesse-

--