On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> I will patch FAQ with this shortly.

Well but what does HTTP/1.1 support mean ? As far as I know
the compressing has not any HTTP/1.1 specific features.

> > mod_deflate compresses content using 8K buffer.  When the buffer
> > is filled mod_deflate passes the compressed data to Apache.

Sorry, I had mixed up with gzipping module of my upcoming lightweight
http and reverse-proxy server.  mod_deflate does not wait to fill up
a whole 8K buffer, it passes the compressed data to Apache as soon as it is
available.  And also it supports flushing the compressed data as described
below.

> > If an upstream module calls ap_bflush() to flush a pending data
> > then mod_deflate asks zlib to flush a compressed stream and
> > then passes a partially filled buffer to Apache.  Since flushing
> > a compressed stream descreases a compression ratio so mod_deflate has
> > "DeflateIgnoreFlush" to ignore the ap_bflush() calls of an upstream
> module.
> > It can be used for example with Chili!Soft ASP that calls ap_bflush()
> > after any output even after an output of several bytes.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/