Matt Sergeant wrote:
> At it's core, XML is a very elegant syntax for defining a rich dataset
> of nodes

It's a syntax for defining a dataset of nodes that all conform to XML's
ideas about what a dataset of nodes looks like.  I'm not convinced about
rich or elegant.

:-)

> > and you find yourself tied down to only generating valid
> > XML (which few real world web pages are, even if they should be).
>
> My web pages come out as HTML 4.0 transitional, not XHTML, and they are
> generated with XSLT. They often omit closing tags where appropriate for
> HTML. I don't do any fancy post-processing. Sorry Andy, but the above is
> not true at all.

OK, fair enough, you can generate output that contains invalid XML markup.
But you can't write a source template that includes invalid XML as literal
text.  At least not without escaping all the < and > characters and other
such madness.

However, I accept that this is construed as a feature in these kind of
systems.  I just happen to prefer a slightly different kind of system.