... and even stranger, when I invoke the printenv cgi script for the
FIRST time it STILL displays "/" for the working directory, but if I
then click the IE browser's refresh (or CTRL-Refresh) button it changes
to the server root /dir1/dir2/httpd. Subsequent clicks of the refresh
button continue to show the server root.

Howvever, if I leave the browser inactive for about 30 secs or so and
then click refresh again, I get the working directory "/" again.
Sunsequent rereshes display the server root pathname again.

Very strange.

Colin