I am installing Apache httpd 2.0.47 on my RH9 Intel Linux box. I get the following error when I start httpd:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start

httpd: module "mod_perl.c" is not compatible with this version of Apache (found 20020628, need 20020903). Please contact the vendor for the correct version. [EMAIL PROTECTED] init.d]#

I have been apache 2.0.45 successfully on this box since installing the OS and apache a couple of months ago. No other updates have been made to the apache install.

I did make the instructed LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so to the httpd.conf file within ~/apache2. To create that file, as I was already running .45, I saved the "new" httpd.conf to another name, copied my working file from /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to the appropriate directory in /usr/local/apache2, and made that change therein.

I'm not sure why my .45 install is splattered around the machine. When I installed it, I took the defaults; but had never seen an install like that (i.e. files in /etc, binaries in the systems binaries directories

-- I would have expected all of the apache stuff in /usr/local/apache, but it all worked nonetheless. (This background provided in the likely event that I'm causing my own problems, and I'm not experienced enough to see it!!!)

Seeing the mod_perl.c version problem, I downloaded mod_perl-1.99.08 from the Apache site. I am not clear how the versions that apachectl asks for (above) correlate to the source on the site. The "2002..." version references seem old and out of sync. Can anyone clarify?

When I do the make && make test part of the mod_perl installation, I get the following error:

/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd  -d /root/mod_perl-1.99_08/t -f /root/mod_perl-1.99_08/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 11 of

/root/mod_perl-1.99_08/t/conf/httpd.conf:

module access_module is built-in and can't be loaded

!!!

server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the server in the debug mode)

make: *** [run_tests] Error 143

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mod_perl-1.99_08]#

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't believe that I'm solving the correct problem here - or at least, obviously, I'm not solving this problem correctly!

Thank you for any guidance,

Robert Shelton