On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Antony Batten wrote:

> Have asked the SA chappy to recompile the module as you
> suggested. Not sure if the approach you mention can be
> done though .... I think HP don't want us to add anything
> to their mod_perl distribution by adding modules to the
> main location. Can't we compile the module against 5.6.1
> but then put it somewhere else, and add that location to
> $PERL5LIB ?

Sure - that's quite common to do. The details are in
perlfaq8, but basically one compiles things as
  perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/me/perllib \
    INSTALLMAN1DIR=/home/me/man/man1 \
    INSTALLMAN3DIR=/home/me/man/man3
and 'make install' will place it under /home/me/perllib.
(make sure 'perl' above is your perl-5.6.1, as Shannon
mentioned). You can then either use the PERL5LIB environment
variable, or within your script or startup file, use
"use lib qw(....);" to point to this location.

--
best regards,
randy