Have you mentioned this to Philippe Chiasson?

Beg your pardon, Ged? What this has to do with Philippe?

Wasn't he organising the release of mod_perl 1.28?

He was a release manager, not a person to blame, even if there was a problem with 1.28, which is certainly not the case.

If people are moving to a 1.3.28/1.28 combination, I would expect his
mailbox to start filling up...

That shouldn't be the case, really. One of us wears the release manager hat once in awhile, but we all stand behind each release. All the bugs are to be reported here, and not to the person who has happened to put it on CPAN.

We are slowly working on fixing CPAN to support role accounts, where several people can maintain the same package, taking turns on doing releases. And no matter who releases it, all the bug reports will go to one specified place, not the last release manager's mail box.

For mod_perl specifically we want to have a CPAN-id modperl where all the packages maintained by the development team will go. That CPAN-id will have an email address of this list, which will protect the last release manager from misdirected email. The packages will also be put into that CPAN-id's homedir on CPAN, and not release manager's one.