Specifically,
I'd like to log certain image file requests (all files
with .jpg, .gif, and .png extensions) to a custom log,

image_log, logging IP, file, time, status, bytes,
referer, cookies, etc.

I care about speed here.

Would you suggest a native logging
 http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch16.pdf

or take this route
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlLogHandler

If the former, would you have any sample
config code to illustrate?

Thanks!