Hi there,

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Global Junk wrote:

> I'm trying to get Mason installed on my Linux server.
> I'm running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.26.
> [snip]
> I hesitate to install a gcc compiler since I do not
> know a lot about it and I do not want to open up a can
> of worms.  I would like to avoid compiling if I can.
>
> I just want to install Mason :)

Where did you get your Linux?  Almost all Linux systems come equipped
with a compiler, and in the Linux world it can be difficult to do much
without one since there are so many different platforms supported.

You don't need to worry about not knowing much about compilation, the
installation routines for the packages do it all for you if you follow
the instructions in the documentation.

If your Linux came from a distribution which offers a compiler but you
chose not to install it, I'd recommend that you take another look at
the installation.  You really don't just want a compiler, there are
other things you'll need such as tools and development libraries.  If
you don't have all the tools, when it comes to upgrading or security
fixes you might find you have serious problems.

73,
Ged.