As far as I know Apache::Request is much smaller and faster than CGI
which is bloated with many things you never need.

If you don't have DBD::MySQL already installed you are running into same
problem because to build DBD::MySQL you also need gcc. You will also
need the devel-packages of mysql.

Beside that: Nearly every distribution provides RPM-Packages for
libapreq and DBD-MySQL(very common modules). If you find out which
distribution is installed at your server you are very likly to find
rpms.

Tom