Perrin Harkins wrote:
I recently gave some advice on perlmonks.org to a person who was
concerned about what his migration path would be if he develops for
mod_perl 1 right now.  I told him he will be safe if he uses
Apache::Registry, since he should be able to run his A::R scripts under
ModPerl::Registry unchanged (assuming he does the workaround for chdir
and uses prefork).

Another person suggested coding to the mp 1 handler API and using
Apache::compat to port.  I thought that would be slow and potentially
bad in terms of memory used, but I'm not actually certain how these two
options compare.  Does anyone have any information about the comparison
of ModPerl::Registry and Apache::compat in terms of performance, memory,
and ease of porting?  I'd like to make sure I give good advice on this
topic.

- Perrin

Another approach is to use an application framework that hides the internals of mod_perl under its APIs like Apache::ASP. An application written for Apache::ASP will work the same under mod_perl 1 as it does under mod_perl 2 provided mod_perl APIs are not directly invoked.

I am guessing that the same would be true for using CGI.pm under mod_perl,
Template Toolkit, etc.  I am not sure generally if this is true for
all application environments yet though, as I am not sure about whether
they have all been ported to work under mod_perl 2 yet.

Regards,

Josh
NodeWorks Link Checker                 http://www.nodeworks.com