Geoffrey Young wrote:

My apache2.conf contains:

PerlSwitches -T

That's the right way.

I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC, if you run a <Perl> section or PerlLoadModule before PerlSwitches its too late to specify taint mode. I might be wrong, but it's worth checking.

It goes like this. There are several directives that force an early perl startup. <Perl> sections and PerlLoadModule are amongst those. When Perl is started and PerlSwitches weren't set yet (.e.g if you do:

PerlLoadModule ...
PerlSwitches -T

you will get an error that PerlSwitches are ignored:

Syntax error on line 104 of /home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/t/conf/httpd.conf:
mod_perl is already running, too late for PerlSwitches

so there can be no confusion about it.

warn tainted(param('foo')); # false for any given foo

Am I doing something wrong?

Where does tainted() come from? I'm not familiar with that function.

probably from Taint.pm (whose code is quite interesting if you take a look at it - a one liner with a paragraph of comments :)

And a whole Taint.xs http://search.cpan.org/src/DSUGAL/Taint-0.07/Taint.xs (For some reason search.cpan.org has the old version, as there is 0.09) And it fails a bunch of test with any 5.8.x perl