Perl pages 'lock up' silently on R9.0/P5.8.0/A2.0.48 with NameVirtualHosts and unique error_log's for each project name. The 'lock up' appears at warn statements, but only after many calls to warn. If the scripts or loops are small, they work and warn message are seen, but if there are too many calls to warn throughout the script, no warn messages appear anywhere and script fails silently.

Details:

We recently migrated some web applications from an old server to a new one using a CVS repository. The project was working perfectly on redhat 7.3, 9.0 and AS2.1 running either Perl 5.6 or 5.8 with mixed Apache 1.3 and 2.0 on these servers -- in general, a hodge-podge. The reason for the list is because the same application, checked-out from CVS works fine on all servers except the app-server we want to use :P the rest are dev-boxes for the application.

The old app-server was R7.3/P5.6.1/A1.3.23 (Redhat/Perl/Apache versions) and through CVS migrated to a the new app-server, which is R9.0/P5.8.0/A2.0.48 and afterwards our scripts starting freezing/timeouts/partial data retrieval. The pages would run After examining the scripts, we started commenting out all the 'warn' statements and the pages started working perfectly.

What baffles us is that we have two other identical copies of the application running on an nigh identical R9.0/P5.8.0/A2.0.48 and another R9.0/P5.8.0/A1.3.23 and these two work perfectly and all messages are 'warn'd out appropriately and page output is complete -- nothing wrong. The only differences between the nigh identical servers is that the dev-server has PHP 4.3.2 and MySQl 4.x installed as well. Both servers have NameVirtualHost *:80, but the dev-server has all names going to one error_log, while the app-server has these seperated by project name. All other Apache related messages appear in each log accordingly, but no Perl 'warn' messages appear anywhere, which is why we started to comment them out to fix them. But we obviously need them in order to fix user errors when they use the app-server.

My guess is that the Perl cant find the appropriate log to write the messages to and bombs silently.

Best regards, Kit DeKat mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web/Systems Programmer

-----BEGIN PERL GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 0.01
P++>[EMAIL PROTECTED] >++M+$O+>+++(++)$MA >+E+PU >+BD >++C >*$
D++S++>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>++WP?MO?PP!n?CO?PO--o?G A--Ee+++Ev w+m!
------END PERL GEEK CODE BLOCK------