steve larson wrote:

I can explain the reason I was using the apr-config
file, due to the several which exist:
[...]

*** Makefile.PL options:
  MP_APR_CONFIG   =>
/usr/local/source/apache2/srclib/apr/apr-config
  MP_APXS         =>
/usr/local/apache2/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs
  MP_AP_PREFIX    => /usr/local/source/apache2

This is your problem. You shouldn't use MP_APR_CONFIG and MP_APXS along with MP_AP_PREFIX. Besides your MP_APR_CONFIG is wrong, it still points to the source directory.

Do you mind trying the modperl-2.0 cvs? I've added a check that people won't do that mistake. See the instructions here:
http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution

Please rebuild using the following arguments (removed MP_APR_CONFIG and MP_AP_PREFIX args):

  MP_APXS         =>
/usr/local/apache2/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs
  MP_DEBUG        => 1
  MP_INST_APACHE2 => 1
  MP_TRACE        => 1

then try again 'make test'. If you still have failures please report including a complete bug report, so I can see what arguments you have used this time. Thanks.