On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:37:15AM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
> And that's your problem. It picks the wrong perl library. Move it somewhere
> out of /usr/lib and rebuild again, and it'll probably be fine. What is that
> libperl.so?

I didn't consider that route.

> Your real libperl.so if any that you build mod_perl with lives under:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.3/

I built Perl with -Duseshrplib and found the library files in i686/CORE/
under the directory above.

> Yes. And httpd should not be linked against libperl.so in that case.

Right, this is starting to sink in. The dynamically vs. statically link
stuff threw me for a loop but are starting to make sense.

> I think you have more than one perl installed and that's why everything is
> messed up.
>
> Having libperl.so in /usr/lib/ is a great reason for lots of obscure
> problems, when you have one more perl installed elsewhere. That's why perl
> puts its libperl.so under its private tree. But some distros play it
> smart...

Yep that was the root of the problem. Apparently Debian has decided to
keep it in /usr/lib. I'm afraid to move that one away for fear of making
my system unstable. With Perl built to support dynamic linking, mod_perl
installed fine and found the right libperl.so.

> and what's:
>
> % which perl

/usr/local/bin/perl

Thanks,