David Arnold wrote:
Neil,

Hello Sir
Don't know if you sort your problem out or not.
I had the same issue just yesterday our time ;-)
If you follow this:

http://apache.perl.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html#Configuration

Not the installation part and try the example scripts and Handler example

then it will work for you.

Seems like Redhat had done all the work already for us in Redhat9 install

rpm's.

Yes, I've seen and tried some of the things in this document, but not a
complete download and install.

Are you also working with Red Hat 9? Did you put these things in your
httpd.conf?

  PerlModule Apache2
  PerlModule Apache::compat

Or did you leave httpd.conf as is and go to trying the scripts?

Currently, I have the above in my httpd.conf and I also have the following
in my httpd.conf.

Alias /cgi-perl/ "/var/www/cgi-perl/"
<Location /cgi-perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
    PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
    Options ExecCGI
</Location>

That looks good.

I place the following script in /var/www/cgi-perl and when I request it
from a browser I get a popup asking if I want to save the file to disk or
open it. Not the behavior I expect.

#! /usr/bin/perl print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n"; print "Mod_perl 2.0 rocks!\n";

When you request it, what's the URI that you use to access it?

Another simple file I have in /var/www/cgi-perl is:

And curiously enough, this works when accessed by my browser, and one of
the environment variables it prints to the screen is:

And what's the URI this time?

MOD_PERL=mod_perl/1.99_07-dev

However, the   LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so in httpd.conf is
still causing an error message when I start and stop the server.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] cgi-perl]# /usr/sbin/apachectl stop
[Thu Jun 10 08:13:57 2004] [warn] module perl_module is already loaded,
skipping

[EMAIL PROTECTED] cgi-perl]# /usr/sbin/apachectl start
[Thu Jun 10 08:14:24 2004] [warn] module perl_module is already loaded,
skipping

I'm not quite sure what was the problem with an archaic version like 1.99_07. Please try the latest version 1.99_14 and let us know if the problem persists.