Stas Bekman wrote on 6/24/04, 1:43 PM:

 > But you already have 1.99_13 installed. Have you tried nuking it
 > first?

I ran t/REPORT _after_ I had given up on installing _14 and successfully
installed _13. Sorry for the confusion.

 > May be your timestamps on the previously installed
 > files are in the future?

There were no previously installed files. My multiple attempts to
install _14 were prior to having any mod_perl versions installed.

(In the confusion of the multiple install attempts, I thought of this
too, but other sanity checks like 'find / -name PerlRun.pm -print' also
showed nothing had been installed.)

 > What's the output of 'make install'?
 > I've seen this kind of problem before with other
 > perl modules. Most likely some glitch with ExtUtils::MakeMaker.
 > Have you tried upgrading it?

Already up to date...

cpan> i ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Strange distribution name [ExtUtils::MakeMaker]
Module id = ExtUtils::MakeMaker
     DESCRIPTION  Writes Makefiles for extensions
     CPAN_USERID  MMML (The MakeMaker mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
     CPAN_VERSION 6.21
     CPAN_FILE    M/MS/MSCHWERN/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.21.tar.gz
     DSLI_STATUS  SupO (standard,comp.lang.perl.*,perl,object-oriented)
     MANPAGE      ExtUtils::MakeMaker - Create a module Makefile
     INST_FILE    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm
     INST_VERSION 6.21

Well, in desperation I reinstalled perl, updated everything to current
using cpan, and now 1.99_14 installs as expected, so it must have been
something with my install. Sorry about that...

Thanks,

    --John