On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > There is little value and a huge overhead in building the table files
> > by each user (not talking about extra dependencies).
>
> I know our build/xsbuilder.pl has Win32-specific code in it, so
> I'm somewhat reluctant to simply generate and bundle the pre-built
> tables.
>
> > It might be a good idea for apreq2 to store the output of recdescent
> > under cvs and hand it ready to the users. That's similar to what mp2
> > does (though it uses C::Scan to do the C parsing).
>
> Not opposed in principle, I just don't want to be personally
> involved in maintaining those tables.

At least for mp2, Win32 is fine with the pre-built
tables (generating them with Win32 is actually broken
at the moment, so Win32 relies on someone else making
them). However, as you say, there are other things
build/xsbuilder.pl does, such as writing Makefile.PLs
and adjusting the include/link options, that do require
Win32-specific stuff.

Maintaining them is a different matter ... Perhaps a script
could be set up, run when a commit is done on cvs, that
would generate the tables and notify someone if changes
are warranted?

--
best regards,
randy