Andy Hale wrote:
I have a custom PerlAuthenHandler that works fine when protecting particular URLs but if I try to protect the document root it also protects necessary URLs I use for login and logout. Is there a way that I can exclude particular URLs or allow them to pass thru?
Here is my SSO.conf file

-----CUT-----

#<IfModule mod_perl.c>
PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
<Location /SSO-login>
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler SSO::SSOAuthHandler->login
  AuthType SSO::SSOAuthHandler
  AuthName SSO
</Location>
[...]
# Protect /
<Location />
 PerlAuthenHandler SSO::SSOAuthHandler->authenticate
 AuthType SSO::SSOAuthHandler
 AuthName SSO
 require valid-user
</Location>
#</IfModule>

The appearance order affects merging rules. Setting the / rule last overrides all previously seen rules. This is an Apache feature, not a mod_perl one:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.html#How_Directory__Location_and_Files_Sections_are_Merged

To solver your problem just change the order of containers, so that:

  <Location /SSO-login>

comes after:

  <Location />.