> But my point is, for a HEAD request, there is no data so apache should not
> touch my content-length header. I really dislike to generate the full data
> for the request and apache throws it away ( and even the I get no
> Content-Length header ).

for the record, this is fundamentally wrong.  HEAD requests are supposed to
be identical to GET requests in every way _except_ that there is no message
body, which means that if a GET request for a specific resource does not
have a C-L header then a HEAD request for the same resource also _must_ not
have a C-L header.  at least if you care about RFC compliance.

--Geoff