Subject: Modperl and Distance Education
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:46:27 +1000
From: Alfred Vahau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Modperl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,
Are there any major distance education sites powered by modperl technology?
I work for a University with 7 campuses scattered around the country. Provision of distance
education through online access to teaching material and academic transcripts are among the long
term goals of the university.

I find it challenging to develop a site to meet the university's requirements. It has been proposed
that I consider Java or PHP applications to develop the site to include online directory for all
staff and students connected to the university. However, I am confident that I can meet the same
objectives using modperl technology. Somewhere I think I can use Bricolage or Mason and I am
wondering whether these are appropriate technologies to consider. Or are there other applications of
modperl relating to delivery of distance education that I am not aware of.

Coming from a traditional Unix background in connection with academic research, I turned to Perl in
2000 to survive in an environment dominated by Windows operating system. I continue to work on my
own Breeze Project for which an early account was posted on the Oreilly site in 2002. Since then I have
been following developments and have tested modperl and apache on trial basis.

Any pointers to help in broadening my options would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Alfred Vahau
Director
Information Technology Services