I've used the following for about 6 months without any problem for reading cookies:

# just copied all Apache related "use", not all needed for the sample code below of course
use Apache::Connection;
use Apache::RequestRec ();
use Apache::RequestIO ();
use Apache::Request();
use APR::Brigade ();
use APR::Table();
use Apache::Const -compile => qw(OK);
use Apache::Cookie ();
*snip*
$self->{ApRequest}=shift;
*snip*
$hrCookies=Apache::Cookie->fetch ($self->{ApRequest});
foreach $ckey (keys %{$hrCookies}){
*snip*
}

For writing cookies however, I (still) use
$self->{ApRequest}->headers_out->add("Set-Cookie" => $cookie);
because I was not able to let it work with Apache::Cookie. It's possible of course that the problem I had for writing cookies is solved in the meanwhile (I've not tried again with newer versions because lack of time, and this also works fine).

I'm now using  Apache  2.0.50, modperl 1.99_16 and libapreq2-2.04

-- Stef

Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

I'm just wondering how people have handled cookie stuff before --

There seems to be a group that has encountered this error, and another group that has not -- if anyone is a member of the latter group and can share their approach to cookie/request handling (assuming its more than just substituting a ($r = shift;) with a ($req =Apache::Request->new($r)) i'd love to see it