Geoffrey Young wrote:
I'd like the option argument, because I'm sure people will run into this
many times.

well, as we're starting to discuss over on dev@,

since you commented here, let's just finish it here rather than speading it all over.

I'm not really in favor of
an optional argument.  if you know that you need to pass the additional
argument, then you know enough to make the APR::Finfo::stat() call yourself
- the reasons for needing to call stat() are (now) documented, so I'd much
rather not be doing any magic behind the scenes that can't be handled by the
existing API.  it was actually this issue that prompted me to open up the
finfo api in the first place, to prevent the need for behind the scenes magic.

what _does_ need to happen, though, is for Apache::compat to redefine
filename() so that it behaves like mp1 did.  I just don't have the tuits at
the moment.

Right, but there are issues with doing that:

1) that should probably be overridable and not loaded by default:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.html#Compatibility_Functions_Colliding_with_mod_perl_2_0_API
since if not it'll replace the real mp2 API and may be someone doesn't want the stat struct to be updated.

2) filename() should behave differently depending on which phase was it called from. What if someone just sets filename() to skip the stat calls? Should it still call the finfo update?

-- __________________________________________________________________ Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com