From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 3:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mod_perlservice? Heck Yeah!

Gentlemen,

mod_perlservice rocks. I know because I wrote it.

Let my email explain why I wrote mod_perlservice and why it will provide
obvious benefits to webservices developers.

Why not just use XML-RPC?

XML-RPC is a standalone system (except for the Java-Apache extension). If
you need to run your webservices system on port 80, for firewalling issues
for instance, you can't also run Apache. That's not ideal. With
mod_perlservice, you can host RPC webservices AND webpages all on one
server! Wow.

mod_perlservice was built to intentionally take advantage of both object
oriented and function oriented programming styles. I'm not sure whether
XML-RPC was designed with that in mind.

Also mod_perlservice's configuration system allows you to host MANY RPC
applications on a single Apache server. Try hosting 25 different remote
apps using XML-RPC; there is no native functionality that enables XML-RPC
to accomplish such feats.

Furthermore, mod_perlservice offers a clean programming interface, much
cleaner, less complicated, more scalable, and better organized than any
system out there. Just try it.

Furtherstill, mod_perlservice builds on Apache, the most secure, trusted
and stable platform out there. But I don't need to tell you the benefits
of that. It's why you have mod_perl instead of a standalone Perl-CGI
webserver.

Well, why not just use mod_perl?

Well that's a silly question. mod_perlservice is an RPC system, not a CGI
system. You will NOT use mod_perlservice to serve up dynamic web pages -
that's mod_perl's job. No, mod_perlservice will be used to create
applications that need to call remote subs and object-methods. mod_perl
CGI doesn't provide support for marshaling and unmarshaling aggregates;
try passing an array of hashes of arrays of integers efficiently using
CGI, it's improbable. mod_perlservice is for distributed applications that
need to pass and retrieve complex data structures, it is not for simple
forms and content-based html apps.

So, I've been a bit of a Frankenstein, sewing mod_perlservice together
from the best elements of all the systems out there. Now we have a
scalable, secure, practical, clean, fast, and robust webservices system.
Be happy.

It's all Free and GPL. It was developed by me and I decided to share it
with all of you. I don't understand why some of you might snark at my
work. If you'd ever launched a GPL project of your own, I believe you'd
stop short of criticizing before you know the whole story. I've spent
hundreds of hours contributing something useful to the community that I've
received so much from. Every submission should be welcomed.

On the other hand I understand the emotion. You may have felt threatened
by a new embedded perl system on Apache. I hope I have allayed your fears
since mod_perlservice doesn't threaten your work, but instead complements
it.

I wrote mod_perlservice because there was nothing out there that satisfied
my requirements. It has saved me hundreds of hours while developing my own
applications. I hope it will save you time and effort too. I would be
happy to answer any other questions you may have, and hope you give
mod_perlservice a warm welcome into the GPL world.

Thank You.

Michael Collins