Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 11:17 -0800, Bill Whillers wrote:

Am I more or less efficient than just creating the hashes directly from hitting the database everytime the application needs it? The database is *not* under heavy load, at all.

If the data is small enough, loading it into memory should work fine,
and will be faster than loading from the database.  If you only need
access to specific items at any given time, I'd read those individually
from the database or use a local dbm file (try MLDBM::Sync or
BerkeleyDB) because it will save you memory over loading the full hash
in each process.

I'd suggest reading the data from the mysql database directly and keeping it in memory. You've many possibilities to check whether the data in the database has been modified. e.g. by setting a update-timestamp which you request.

Tom