Andrew Charnley wrote:
Have followed all instructions. There is no mention of this. I do not know how
modperl generates the apache configure file but it should insert the stuff
--enable-module=so gives when calling ./configure on apache src directly.

1. Download ModPerl v1. Apache 1.333. Slackware current.
2. extracted to /tmp
3. perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.33/src APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/sbin
DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1
4. make, make install
5. apachectl start >> Invalid Command 'LoadModule', perhaps misspelled or not
included in the server configuration
6. Googled for info: http://www.vttoth.com/loadmod.htm
7. Summarised ModPerl should be using this. Compiled apache manually with this
and problem fixed, but then I don't get ModPerl.

That's much better, Andrew.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#The_All_In_One_Way
That builds a static Apache/mod_perl. So obviously modperl has no interest telling Apache to build DSO support. What LoadModule are you expecting to call if there are no dynamic modules?

I suspect you have httpd.conf from a previously build Apache which had DSO support and the new build doesn't overwrite that file. Nuke the old httpd.conf, run 'make install' and you should be fine.

If you still want to pass extra args use APACI_ARGS
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#APACI_ARGS

perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.33/src APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/sbin DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 APACI_ARGS="--enable-module=so"