Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using the logging API ($s->notice("...")) in some code that is loaded
at startup
using PerlRequire.

As mentionned in the docs on the Apache server cycle, my code is executed
twice.
The first time the code is executed, I see the log statements appear on
STDERR when
Apache is restarted (I use /etc/init.d/httpd restart).

The problem is that I don't see the log statements in the Apache log file
for the second
execution. The logging seems to be disabled at this point.

Is this normal / a know problem? Is there any way to get the logging to
work on the
second execution? My code does more stuff the second time around and I can't
see what's happening...

It's normal. Your code is running twice, but stderr is closed by Apache during the restart's config and open_logs phases. it's reopen for the post_config phase.

In Apache 2.0 one should avoid running startup code at config phase, unless it's httpd.conf-specific. Instead post_config should be used. replace:

PerlRequire with PerlPostConfigRequire
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_PerlPostConfigRequire_

You will need the latest dev version to get this new feature:
http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution

I plan to write more docs explaining the issue.

I'm using mod_perl 1.99_07-5 (latest version according to yum...) on
RedHat 9.0.
Maybe my version is too old....

Your version is *very* old (like 2+ years old), but this particular issue will be still there. It's an Apache issue/feature.