Geoffrey Young wrote:
  at any rate, it's a
big win for people writing mp2 stuff for CPAN, and I can see how M::B folks
could take advantage of a similar tool.  however, stas is right, that tool
should be distributed with mp2 core so that developers have access to it.
of course, once that's done we could theoretically come up with a mp2 M::B
install path, but I think there's enough to worry about at the moment unless
someone has a real itch...

Why not? I'm not familiar with Module::Build, but doesn't it make possible to subclass itself? Of course ModPerl::MB is only needed if there are 3rd party mp2 modules that use M::B. Are there any? May be David could write a skeleton for a dummy module that uses M::B. In fact I don't mind taking one of my modules and convert them to use M::B if David can help me with the task. It would be a good idea to do that for one pure perl module and another for XS module. So we could start with: Apache-Filter-HTTPHeadersFixup (pure perl) and then do Apache-Scoreboard-2.0 (XS) and developer ModPerl::MB on the way.

David, what do you think?