On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Mike Carlton wrote:
> [...]
> > But isn't there a problem with making db connections from startup.pl?
> > When the processes later fork, you potentially wind up with database
> > connection problems (I saw lots of problems under MP1 when I was doing
> > this).
> >
> > Particularly with Class::DBI::mysql, just loading a class makes a
> > database connection.  Is there a safe way to make database connections
> > from startup.pl and not have it blow up?
>
> Not if you use PerlChildInitHandler to open the actual connection, like
> Apache::DBI does:
> http://modperlbook.org/html/ch20_02.html

Hi Stas,
   It's probably just me, but just to clarify the wording -
are you saying the use of PerlChildInitHandler, as in
Apache::DBI, *is* a safe way to to initiate database
connections within a startup.pl? Also, does that depend on
whether one's using threads (assuming the underlying
database engine is thread safe). Thanks.

--
best regards,
randy